Different Types of Specialists Which May be Involved in Your Treatment

You may have a team of specialists to help plan your treatment. Your doctor may refer you to specialists, or you may ask for a referral. You may want to see a Gastroenterologist, a doctor who specializes in treating problems of the digestive organs.

Other specialists who treat esophageal cancer include Thoracic (chest) surgeons, Thoracic Surgical Oncologists, Medical Oncologists, and Radiation Oncologists.

  • Your healthcare team may also include an Oncology Nurse and a Registered Dietitian.
  • If your airways are affected by the cancer, you may have a Respiratory Therapist as part of your team.
  • If you have trouble swallowing, you may see a Speech Pathologist.

assembling a team


Your health care team can describe your treatment choices, the expected results of each, and the possible side effects. Because cancer therapy often damages healthy cells and tissues, side effects are common. Before treatment starts, ask your health care team about possible side effects and how treatment may change your normal activities. You and your health care team can work together to develop a treatment plan that meets your needs.

Source: The Web site of the National Cancer Institute (http://www.cancer.gov) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/esophagus.pdf